Thursday, December 6, 2007

THE TWO SIDES OF HERO WORSHIP

THE TWO SIDES OF HERO WORSHIP


After reading the `Never Support Your Heroes' article [CR112], I felt compelled to put finger to keyboard regarding two such experiences of a similar nature. About 20 years ago. I bumped into Cozy Powell and his beautiful lady friend at the Marquee in London. We were all at the bar waiting to be served when I struck up a polite but very nervous conversation with this star and personal hero of mine. What a sweet guy: he couldn't have been any more approachable and pleasant to me. So much so I bought them both a drink and was about to leave them when he said to me, "Hold on, don't go, it's my round next!" I nearly fell over. True to his word we continued to drink and had a very pleasant, very funny conversation. I eventually left him and his young lady to rejoin my mates and felt on top of the world. News of his death many years later knocked me for six. A great guy, talented musician and huge loss to the rock world. Rest in peace Cozy, you're still missed. The flip side of this issue: About 10 years ago, I played drums in a local rock band and we were asked to support the Thin Lizzy tribute band, Dizzy Lizzy, at The Railway in Birmingham. "How cool's that?" I thought, knowing that Brian Tatler of Diamond Head fame was playing with them. On the night, I packed my precious gatefold copy of Borrowed Time, hoping to get the lovely Mr Tatler to squiggle on it and say something really cool and memorable to really make the occasion for me. In reality, he turned out to be the grumpiest old cock I've ever met. He told me he was "too busy" (playing with his guitar in the kitchen at The Railway) to give me the time of day. Thanks, mate - you rock. No, not really. If anyone's interested, I've got an . unsigned copy of Borrowed Time for sale. But I have wiped my arse with it. Rich D (Legs Up), Birmingham

No comments: